Monday, September 12, 2011

Money money money money

I've been reading approximately a book a day lately. I recently got my school money for this semester in the mail (recently as in, like, this morning) and I thought maybe I might need some inspiration not to spend it all (I use this money all semester long, to supplement my income since because of my school schedule, I can only work a certain number of hours a week), so I thought I'd read something inspirational. I picked up (off my bookshelf, so I didn't have to spend any money) a book called Save Karyn: One Shopaholic's Journey to Debt and Back by Karyn Bosnak.

Sometime around the time I was starting college, a 29 year old woman (same age as I am now!) got herself into some debt. Then she had a brilliant idea to cut back, work hard, and ask for donations off of a website. Now, I'm not going to ask for donations off of this website (no one really reads it anyways at this point in time except maybe...Hi Britney!), but I always get really inspired reading about her attitude, and the ways she found to stop spending and bring down her debt. I've come a long ways in the last 5 years, but I still definitely have some room for improvement! So I've decided to start being more conscious of where I'm spending, and to try and start selling some of the junk...wait, not junk, just stuff I realllllly needed when I bought it but since then Cash has outgrown it or I've lost space and is now residing in my garage. Hopefully with a little luck, I can start a Christmas/Birthday fund for Mr. Cash (so I don't wait until the last minute and panic like last year)! Great idea, I know. The thing is, I think the key to stay out of debt is all in your attitude. I love to shop. I like pretty things. To wear, to decorate (my kid and my home) with. But I like being able to pay my bills more. And I'd really like to be able to fit my car in the garage this winter. Here goes!